Participants are accepted following an initial interview; these are
usually held in July and September. Occasionally, people with the relevant
background and experience may be admitted straight onto the Second Year.
To get more of an idea of what constitutes ‘relevant background and
experience’, you can down load an Outline
of First Year Modules and Expectations.
Assignments and Appraisals
There are regular assignments and appraisals during the course. Entry to subsequent years
is through completion of the previous year's requirements and an end-of-year appraisal.
Movement from one year to the next is not automatic; this will be assessed and discussed with
you by a member of staff.
Participants are expected to:
- meet regularly with an Ignatian-trained spiritual director;
- be committed to attending all sessions. No more than 6 session may be missed in a year.
If more than three sessions are missed in a term you will be expected to repeat the whole term.
There will be an administrative fee for repeating a term;
- work with your own experience in this ministry within the group;
- complete assignments and recommended reading, including, in the Third Year:
- a Spiritual and Psychological Autobiography;
- an essay on Discernment; and
- the presentation of an in depth study of a directee for supervision;
- make an Ignatian-based, individually guided, residential retreat (normally 6-8 days duration) by the
start of the Second Year;
- make the full Spiritual Exercises, either by the 30-day retreat or
by the 19th Annotation, and preferably to be completed by the end of the
The taking of the Exercises in three stages over an extended
period of time is not recommended but may be acceptable in exceptional
circumstances after consultation with the relevant year leader and one
of the course directors.
The Exercises in Daily Life is being offered at the Marylebone Healing Centre.
This meets the Course's requirements. You can download the flyer.
We recommend that participants gain an experience of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator or the Enneagram Personality Inventory during the First
Please note: correspondence between a course participant and their tutors may,
at the tutors' discretion, be placed on the participant's file for future reference.
A Certificate of Completion is presented at the end of the Third Year for those who have
completed all the course requirements.